Monday, February 3, 2014

Papantla me encanta

This week the mission had a visit from Elder Valenzuela of the 70. He gave the talk ''Small and Simple Things'' in conference in October and is a member of the Mexico area presidency. Too many details but so many good changes are coming... again.  A whole lot of things I can't remember at this moment due to time. But it was excellent.

Part of his visit was to emphasize the need for everybody to be studying a second language. Now that a 70 told everybody face to face, they're likely going to do it. Also, the mission President says that I need to study a 3rd language during language study now... so the question is, which? French or German? Or another random suggestion? Respond soon because I need answers and study materials...  (Note from Mom--of course, I told Abram French and shipped him off a box of my French study materials).

After only about 12 days with Elder C, I can say one thing for sure: 19 year olds are much more mature than 18 year olds. Holy cow. It's a struggle especially because he likes to be contentious, but I'm working with him as much as I can. I haven't felt as much frustration since Elder P. But it's all good. It depends on how I choose to react.

I love my ward. From the Bishop on downward everybody does what he needs to from visits to scripture study to family home evening. Therefore it's a miracle ward of Mexico. For example, it's been a long time since I heard a member randomly quiz me on what Zeniff did in the Book of Mormon. It's also been a long time since I saw two recent converts get the Priesthood the very next week.


Papantla is a fun city. I think it's one of the smaller six cities in the mission (where there is a stake also). The downtown has a European feel to it and outside is all jungly 3rd worldness. The power went out one day this week and we taught several people using candles as lighting. Also this week we went to pick up investigators and members in the ward mission leader's giant fruit truck. We had a whole bunch of people herded up like cattle in the back all so we could save our money on taxis and eat instead. But hey, it's Mexico - there aren't traffic laws here!

 One member owns a Chinese restaurant.  it made me remember there’s more than just tortillas, rice and beans to eat.  Aside from pizza, I legitimately can’t remember what I ate before the mission.


La bici no es mía.

No comments:

Post a Comment