Monday, January 13, 2014

This week


The park in ''downtown'' Hueyapan. The sun has been out for 4 days in a row and we saw a radical change in temperature from -1 degree and icy to about 20 degrees and sunny overnight. It was really weird, but we're enjoying it!

Well, what did I do this week... at the end of the week in Teteles it's really hard to remember what we did. All I know is I worked my keister all stinking week and my comp happily marched along for probably upwards of 15 km a day teaching and preaching.

Things with my comp are good.  One thing he pointed out (because he has also realized that this area is quite difficult and no matter what missionary is here and no matter what he does the baptisms will be low here for some time) is that in comparison to other areas this area is extremely hard because the people are, well, very closed. He told me that in order to see even one soul come unto Christ in a place like this you have to work your tail off just getting that one person to come to church, to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, and take the initiative to endure. ''Now that you have four months working as hard as we have these past two weeks, when you get transferred to another area you're going to see huge miracles. Working in the same way with a more open area in Mexico, you're going to see a lot more miracles.'

I've been spending more time in Hueyapan recently and have picked up a little bit of Nahuat. (I think that's how it's spelled.) It's still incredible to think that over 500 years after Columbus landed there are still people that don't even speak or understand Spanish here. So far I just know the pronouns, a few other words, basic grammar structure... let's just say I know why Mexicans are grateful the Spaniards gave them their language, because it's a lot more efficient than what they spoke beforehand! Notokai Elder Dorrough. (Me llamo Elder Dorrough)

Some big missionary changes in Mexico were announced this week.  One of them was that in all Mexico the Latino missionaries are required to study English an hour a day. Instead of District classes being in just Spanish they will now be 50% English and 50% Spanish.  Not that speaking Spanish all the time ever bugged me!

No comments:

Post a Comment