Monday, July 1, 2013

Grandpa

Hey, Mom. I received a phone call from President Black on Tuesday in which I was told some good news and some bad news. The good news was that I am going to fly to Mexico on Monday. The bad news came when he said that my grandfather had died. After he called back somebody to check if it were grandpa or great-grandpa, he told me he was 66 years old, had just played a game of racquetball, and came home and his spirit left his mortal body. I knew it was my special Grandpa.

I just want to let you know what has comforted me for the past week: I had the best goodbye with Grandpa that a person could ever ask for. I got to spend a lot more time with him in the few months before my mission than I had spent with him ever before. Easter weekend was the best. I got to talk with Grandpa about the gospel for probably 10 hours one-on-one. We talked a lot about the scriptures and read a few verses in Spanish, German, and English to talk about how the Bible verse really should be translated. One of these verses is my favorite part from Handel's Messiah: "I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the Latter Day upon the Earth. And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God." I feel those words give me spiritual strength as I realize Grandpa was prompted to discuss that with me for that specific purpose. The Saturday of Easter weekend I got to go to the Salt Lake Temple with my Grandpa, which was something I always knew I had to do. He helped me learn so much. The Sunday we spent all day together, and early Monday morning when he dropped him off, the very last words I told him in mortality were: "I love you, Grandpa." "I love you, too." The Lord blessed me with the best mortal farewell I could have asked for from the best grandpa ever.

I pray for your comfort especially. My thoughts first turned to you when I received the news. I am emailing you know because I won't have time on Sunday to email.

I don't know if Grandpa had willed anything or not, but I would like one of his ties to remember him by.  Just a sentimental thing to keep the memories of the best grandpa ever.

I love you, Mom. I hope everything is okay with you because we have a sure knowledge of God's plan for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment