Tuesday, May 7, 2013

First letter!


Madre:
I have received all your letters by the DearElder service. I am going to keep every single one you send me and bring back a big pile in chronological order. I won't handwrite any letters... I've decided that messing with the post office here isn't even worth it, and from what I've learned of Mexican mail service, my letters wouldn't even make it back after I go to Mexico.
Anyway! I'll start responding to your letters. Those ones from DearElder are much easier to respond to because I can read them thoroughly before I email you, and I don't have to use any of my precious 1 hour of email time reading! Please use that as much as possible.
Yes, I am leaving on Monday. Where I am going is not determined yet because I am waiting on the Visa, but I will be leaving the MTC on Monday the 13th. Please pray that my Visa arrives on time and I can go to Mexico soon!
As to what the Mexicans think of my Spanish... they love me. Here are some various comments/conversations I have had.
"Were you born speaking Spanish?"
"You're going to walk up to investigator's doors and they'll let you in because they will think you're a glowing angel."
"Every single time you walk into a shop, you're going to make everybody's jaws fall open to the floor. And they'll stay there."
"Even though you're super white, you're a Mexican on the inside."
(introducing me to white people) "Seriously, he speaks more Spanish than any of us."
Basically my entire time at the MTC has been like that. It's what keeps me going. I'm so grateful that the Lord blessed me with the gift of tongues.  I understand every word, even though Spanish is the fastest language ever. I love it.
I'm having a blast with my Mexican friends! I am in a district of 6 Elders-- it is also the smallest district.
My companion's name is Elder D. When I first read his name, I read his name and I thought "NO!!! They put me in a class of white people who took Spanish in high school... May I die a painful death." Thankfully, THANKFULLY, that was not the case. Elder D's mother is Colombian and his dad works for the FBI so he spent most of his life in Mexico and Puerto Rico. Elder D is 6'2" and 240 pounds... not a tiny Mexican. He reminds me of Uncle Josh because he's so silly and goofy with the ability to be serious when needs be. My prayers were answered: I got a goofball companion for the MTC.
The other guys in my district are awesome. I could not have picked a better group of 6 people to keep me sane at the MTC. 
 I'm very grateful for my Hispanic buddies. They are awesome and we're a great group of Mexican brothers all together. As I said before, they consider me Mexican on the inside.
I'm currently unable to attach pictures because the MTC has supermodified its computers to prohibit missionaries from doing anything on them but this. There is no software and I'm going to have to figure out how to send pictures either later today or next week. Unfortunately, the MTC picked my P-day to be the only day that I will only get a single day to email you while I spend time in the spirit prison here, becuase I leave on Monday to wherever I'm going. Hopefully I can save some time today and figure it out later. But I will send pictures soon!
My flight over here was the best flight I've ever had - I sat next to Lonnie Stilson, who used to co-own Keith's gun store in Gresham! He and I talked the entire time about missions, the gospel, guns, all the best stuff life has to offer. What an inspired decision the Church made when it picked my plane ticket.
I can't wait for your cookies! Mis amigos are excited to celebrate my birthday and eat your wonderful galletas I have been telling them about.
Tell Zachary his letter was so sweet and cute. I love that little big guy. He needs to write me once a week my whole mission!
Please tell everybody to pray that my Visa comes soon. I would like to head straight to Mexico rather than spend 6 weeks somewhere else.

1 comment:

  1. What a great first letter, and the picture with the matching ties is so cute. It can't get much better than having an uncle Josh for a companion. :)

    ReplyDelete